(Disclosure: Some of the links below may be affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure.)
I just realized that this blog has been already been alive for more than six months already! Happy blogging anniversary The Poor Swiss!
I started blogging here to motivate me to save more each month. In the beginning, my finances were in really bad shape. I had to reduce a lot my expenses and I was also lucky to increase my income. Since the beginning, my savings rate have increased. March 2018 was my best month with more than 46% savings rate! I am starting to get more confident about my finances. Of course, it is still not perfect, but it is better. I want to improve them progressively over time. I do not think there is a perfect budget. One can always improve his budget.
I will need to review my investment portfolio in the coming months. It is still too complicated. Next month, I will get married. This will only be the civil wedding. The party wedding will be later. And my future is going to move in with me next month as well. So a lot of things are going to change for my finances. We will see how it goes.
Review of blogging after 6 months
The other reason to start a blog was to share my experience along the way. Like every blogger, I would like to grow my audience. On that count, I am a bit disappointed. The audience on the blog has already stopped increasing. I do not know what I am doing wrong. This is something I will have to study in details in the future if I want to grow this blog. Of course, a lot of my posts are related to Switzerland, which makes them more niche.
In March, I had almost 2000 page views. It is not great, but it is still a start. Unfortunately, since I migrated the URL for the blog, I do not have full stats since the beginning. I will try to post again in a few months once I have at least six months of stats. On the other hand, I am very satisfied with the number of comments on the blog. I already got 101 comments. Moreover, I am also impressed by the personal finance blogging community. It is a really great community!
As for money, for now, I do not plan on this blog becoming profitable. It is not a goal. I would rather focus on growing a small audience. Like everyone, I do not mind making a small side hustle income from this blog. But this is not the main goal of this blog.
To get better at blogging and increase my audience, here is what I am thinking to do:
- Continue to work on the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) part of the blog. I am not nearly an expert, so I will need to research it further.
- Try to write some broader context posts. It would be good to write some posts with a focus on general personal finance, not only Switzerland. And also some deeper thought-provoking posts. But I am thinking that this will come as I gain more experience!
- Stop reading about other blog’s results! I think this is really important. Several times already, I read about blogs that did better in its first month than mine in six months. This is rather discouraging. I have to stop reading this kind of reports.
- Try Pinterest. Apparently, this is the hot thing for blogging. Since I am very bad with images, I do not know how I am going to do this. But I would like to try.
- Get a logo! The site would really be better with a logo. Since I am terrible with design and images, I still have no idea how to do it. But it will come eventually.
- Continue posting regularly! These days I have a good frequency of posting I think. This is also because I have a lot of time. Next month, I will not have so much time, unfortunately. But life will always be the priority.
If you have questions about blogging, I would be glad to answer them. But I may not be the best person to ask them :P I do not use a lot of services on my blog. I use Jetpack for the comments and the mailing list. I am using Yoast SEO to improve the SEO of the blog. But it does not seem to be enough. I use Google Analytics to gather stats on the audience. I use Bluehost for hosting. That is about it so far. I have checked a few other tools, but most of them are incredibly expensive.
It is the same for courses. I have followed a few free courses, but it is pretty basic content and I did not learn a lot. And the other courses are way too expensive for now. I do not want to spend a fortune on courses yet. I may buy a small course in the future. Some are reasonable. But I do not know about their results.
Here it is! Now you know what happened in the last six months. And you know what is likely to happen in the coming months. I hope the blog is getting better over time. And I hope it will get even better!
What would you like to see on this blog? What would you improve? How is your blog doing?