I just realized that this blog has been already been alive for more than six months already! Happy blogging anniversary The Poor Swiss!
I started blogging here to motivate me to save more each month. At the beginning, my finances were in really bad shape. I had to reduce a lot my expenses and I was also lucky to increase my income. Since the beginning, my savings rate have been increasing. March 2018 was my best month with more than 46% savings rate! I’m starting to get more confident about my finances. Of course, it’s still not perfect, but it is better.
I will need to review my investment portfolio in the coming months. It’s still too complicated. Next month, I’ll get married. This will only be the civil wedding. The party wedding will be later. And my future is going to move in with me next month as well. So a lot of things are going to change for my finances. We’ll see how it goes.
The other reason to start a blog was to share my experience along the way. Like every blogger, I would like to grow my audience. On that count, I’m a bit disappointed. The audience on the blog is already stagnant. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. This is something I will have to study in details in the future if I want to grow this blog. Of course, a lot of my posts are related to Switzerland, which makes them more niche.
In March, I had almost 2000 page views. It’s not great, but it’s still a start. Unfortunately, since I migrated the URL for the blog, I don’t have full stats since the beginning. I will try to post again in a few months once I have at least six months of stats. On the other hand, I’m very satisfied by the number of comments on the blog. I already got 101 comments. Moreover, I’m also impressed by the personal finance blogging community. It is a really great community!
As for money, for now I don’t plan on this blog becoming profitable. It’s not a goal. I’d rather focus on growing a small audience. Like every one, I don’t mind making a small buck on the side. But this is not the main goal of this blog.
To get better at blogging and increase my audience, here is what I’m thinking to do:
- Continue to work on the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) part of the blog. I’m not nearly an expert, so I’ll need to research it further.
- Try to write some broader context posts. It would be good to write some posts with focus on general personal finance, not only Switzerland.
- Stop reading about other blog’s results! I think this is really important. Several times already, I read about blogs that did better in its first month than mine in six months. This is rather discouraging. I have to stop reading this kinds of reports.
- Try Pinterest. Apparently, this is the hot thing for blogging. Since I’m very bad with images, I don’t know how I’m going to do this. But I’d like to try.
- Get a logo! The site would really be better with a logo. Since I’m terrible with drawing and images, I still have no idea how to do it. But it will come eventually.
- Continue posting regularly! These days I have a good frequency of posting I think. This is also because I have a lot of time. Next month, I won’t have so much time unfortunately. But life will always be the priority.
If you have questions about blogging, I’d be glad to answer them. But I may not be the best person to ask them 😛 I don’t use a lot of services on my blog. I use Jetpack for the comments and the mailing list. I’m using Yoast SEO to improve the SEO of the blog. But it does not seem to be enough. I use Google Analytics to gather stats on the audience. I use bluehost for hosting. That’s about it so far. I’ve checked a few other tools, but most of them are incredibly expensive. It’s the same for course. I’ve followed a few free courses, but it’s pretty basic content and I didn’t learn a lot. And the other courses are way too expensive.
Here it is! Now you know what happened in the last six months. And you know what is likely to happen in the coming months.
What would you like to see on this blog ? What would you improve ? How is your blog doing ?