Goals for 2018 – Reaching for FI| Updated: |
(Disclosure: Some of the links below may be affiliate links)
For the first year in my life, I am gonna try to set clear goals for this year! I have set up a nice spreadsheet for my goals for this year (credits to retirebyforty for the spreadsheets idea):
I have tried to not set goals that are too high but still strive for better than this year. Since it is the first year I am setting goals like this, I do not want to be over-optimistic. This is my first attempt at setting yearly goals, so maybe I will add new goals during the year, but I will not remove any goal nor downsize any goal.
The first goals and probably most important goals are the financial goals.
- Save 10’000 CHF: This was already my goal last year but I failed. This a really important goal for this year but I do not know if it will be possible since I will have some big expenses planned.
- Monthly expense < 4500 CHF: I want my average monthly expenses to be below 4500 CHF this year. Again, given some very large expenses that are planned this year, I do not think this will possible each month. But I will try for it anyway. Ideally, I would like at least 10 months below this limit.
- Max out my 3rd pillar (3000 CHF): I have a third pillar life insurance with 3600 CHF per year. So, I can only invest 3000 CHF in my third pillar directly. This is something really important to max out. There are big tax-advantages. I do not think this will be an issue. I already did it last year. In fact, I have done it ever since I started working.
- Dividend Income 500 CHF: I would like my dividends to be 500 CHF this year. I think it is really doable with my new portfolio. Especially if I am able to save enough money to contribute to it.
- Add 5% EUR Bonds to the portfolio: I plan to change a bit my portfolio to add 5% bonds from the eurozone. I have not decided on which ETF to choose, but it will probably be an iShares ETF.
I do not have great ambition for this blog, it is more a hobby and a motivation tool for me. But I will try to develop it a bit more this year:
- Blog 24 times: At a minimum, I would like to blog around twice a month on this blog. This will probably be easy. But I do not want to put this goal higher to avoid pressure to post mediocre content.
- Get the blog out of wordpress.com: Currently, the blog is simply a subdomain of wordpress.com. I plan to buy a .com (or .ch) domain for the blog. I do not yet know if I will host the blog myself or get it hosted at wordpress.com. But I will see to that later. I will also do some SEO to give the site some visibility. But I do not plan anything fancy either.
- Add DEGIRO referral link: I plan to add a DEGIRO referral link to the website as a small monetization tool.
A few personal goals, somehow related to this blog:
- Finish scanning all documents: I started scanning all my documents to store them safely in PDF format. This will save me quite some space at home and will also help me to find these documents if necessary.
- Get a new job from 01.08: My current job will finish on July 31st. By the end of March, I would like to have a contract signed for the next job.
That settles it for these goals. I think having clear goals like these will help me focus my effort during the year. It is the first time I am doing that so I expect some of the goals to be either very easy or very difficult. But this will get better the next year.
To read more about my goals, you can read my review of my 2018 Goals.
What about you? What goals do you have for 2018? What do you think of my goals?
Download this e-book and optimize your finances and save money by using the best financial services available in Switzerland!Download The FREE e-book
1 thought on “Goals for 2018 – Reaching for FI”
It’s an amazing article.
C’est une excellent idée.